Wednesday, April 20, 2011

CEP 812 - Mobile Learning

 
While expIoring the mobile learning lab I actually found a very useful tool that I read about in Classroom 2.0 i saw the forum “Java applets to quizzes to mobile phones”. In that forum there was a program talked about that I would definitely implement called http://www.mobilestudy.org where you can create quizzes for mobile phones. This can be away that will be a way to let students do what they naturally do every day anyway. This probably would be better suited for college students, only because I would believe that that majority of college students would have or own smartphones.  In my classroom it would be a quick way to throw a pop quiz to see if some of the main points of the lesson were understood. It can also work well with homework assignments, being able to make sure students are aware of what is to be study that night or week. What one challenge would be, is making sure that all the students have the mobile hardware to access these types of quizzes, which could be corrected by having the students just as easily take the quiz online as an alternative.  


Outside of the mobile quiz app, there are many other mobile tools such as; iPods/iPads, flash drives, mp3 players, kindles, and flip cameras. I personally have only had experiences with using flash drives and remember one particular experience. I was working in the media lab undergrad, and was tired and rushing to catch the bus. I was in such a hurry, I left my flash drive in the computer, and of course when I realized I had left it and tried to go back the next day it was gone. The worst part is, nobody returned it to me, and I lost the majority of my work from the current course and past courses. I have only had to use flash drives for doing major media and large gaming projects and video content.  When I was adjunct game instructor, my students did not use flash drives that used external hard drives, mainly because there was not enough space on the flash drive. Some my students even used their ipods, as storage devices, and when I asked why, they told me it’s because they know that they always carry their iPod, so therefore they will always have their work. Although it made since, most of them still forgot their work, go figure.
If I had my own classroom, I would definitely use kindles as a means for text books as a second option physical text books. One so no students would be able to use the excuse of, “Oh I have too many other books” or “My book never stays open, so I didn’t bring it” (these are actually excuses I heard in my class). Another reason is because it would cut down on having my students have to carry multiple books for just my class. I would tailor the course readings to go with books that are Kindle purchasable, such as these. 



That would be the only thing I would I would definitely like to implement that on a list of uses to in the future of my teachings. Depending on what I would be teaching there is a possibility of using iPads, but I'm not quite sure how well designing or editing would work on that type of device. or if the same software that is available on Mac's are have been downsized to work on iPads.



No comments:

Post a Comment